This information does not constitute source of law. Authors were duly diligent to make this information consistent with applicable legal regulations. It is good to remember that it concerns typical and frequent cases and may not fully refer to different matters. The number and the type of documents which may be necessary for administrative bodies throughout the procedure may vary depending on the specific case. In the case of any doubts contact competent authority for examination the individual case and become familiar with legal regulations on their own.
What is the invitation document
The invitation is a document, confirming that the invited foreigner has financial measures sufficient to cover costs related to the intended stay on the territory of Poland, including the costs of accommodation and board and the costs of a return travel to the state of origin or residence or the costs of the transit to a third country which shall permit their entry. The invitation does not entitle to undertake employment in the territory of Poland.
The document may be presented during the application for visa or during border control.
Note: the inviter shall be obliged to cover the indicated costs related to the foreigner’s stay. In the case when the inviter did not execute the obligations resulting from the issued invitation, the State Treasury or other entities may reach their claims from the inviter, in the case of court proceedings. The inviter shall also be obliged to cover the costs related to possible issuing and execution of the decision on obliging the foreigner to return.
Who may issue the invitation
The inviter may be:
- a Polish citizen living on the territory of the Republic of Poland, citizen of another member state of EU/EEA/Switzerland or a member of their family, living on the territory of the Republic of Poland and holding the right to stay or the right of permanent residence at this territory, or
- a foreigner, who directly before issuing the invitation has been staying legally and continuously for the period of at least 5 years on the territory of the Republic of Poland or holding a permit for permanent residence or long-term residence permit for a resident of EU, or
- a legal person or an organizational unit not having legal personality having their registered office on the territory of the Republic of Poland.
How the invitation is issued
In order to issue the invitation for a foreigner, the inviter should make an application for entry of the invitation to the register of invitations. The invitation entered into the register of invitations is valid for a period indicated in it, for which the inviter invited the foreigner, not longer than 1 year. The inviter should complete the application form in person. The application can be sent by mail or submitted through an appointed authorized representative. The inviter may be represented by an authorized representative throughout the whole procedure. In the case of acceptance of the invitation by an authorized representative, the special power of attorney for this activity is required.
In the procedure for entering an invitation to the register of invitations the inviting party is the only party to the proceedings.
Where the application should be submitted
The authority competent to enter the invitation to the register of invitations is the Voivode competent for the inviter’s place of residence.
The inviter applying for entering the invitation to the register of invitations shall submit:
- a completed form of the application for entering the invitation to the register of invitations;
- documents proving the ability of covering costs associated with the foreigner’s stay, including the costs of accommodation and board, the costs of the return travel to the state of origin or residence or the costs of the transit to a third country which shall give the foreigner the entry permit, e.g. a certificate confirming holding financial resources gathered on the bank account, in the case of an inviter being a natural person – an employment contract, a certificate of the amount of earnings, documents confirming the amount of received retirement or pension, a certificate of the communal office indicating the annual income from a farm;
- a document confirming the legal title to the residential premises, if the inviter’s residential premise was indicated as the invited foreigner’s place of accommodation, or a document confirming the ability of providing accommodation to the foreigner elsewhere, e.g. an ownership act, rent contract, reservation in the hotel.
Note: Lack of any of the aforementioned documents will result in margin call within 7 days from its delivery, under pain of leaving the application without examination. When it is necessary to supplement or particularize the evidence in the case held by the authority during the administrative proceedings, the inviter may be called to deliver other documents confirming circumstances referred to in the application
The amount of means that the inviter should have to cover costs related to the foreigner’s stay:
The inviter should have financial means in the amount of at least:
- 515 PLN – monthly per themselves, each family member dependent on them and each invited foreigner;
- 200 PLN – monthly per themselves, each family member dependent on them and each invited foreigner, when the invited foreigner is a descendant, ancestor or the spouse of the inviter, any of the spouse’s parents, siblings or children.
If the inviter being a natural person does not have the funds required for the whole period of the planned stay of the foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland, it is assumed that the obligation to have such financial resources is fulfilled, if the inviter has the required means in each month of the planned stay of the foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland.
The inviter should additionally have financial means to cover the costs of the return travel of the invited foreigner to the country of their origin or residence or the costs of the transit to a third country which shall give the foreigner the entry permit, in the amount covering the price of a ticket to this country, but not smaller than:
- 200 PLN – in the case of a return travel or the transit to a country neighbouring with the Republic of Poland;
- 500 PLN – in the case of a return travel or the transit to a European country other than specified in item 1;
- 2 500 PLN – in the case of a return travel or the transit to a non-European country.
The obligation to have financial resources to cover the costs of the return travel of the invited foreigner to the country of their origin or residence shall be deemed fulfilled, if the inviter proves that the foreigner has a return ticket to the country of their origin or residence.
Fees related to issuing the invitation:
The stamp duty for entering the invitation to the register – 27 PLN.
The stamp duty for the submission of the power of attorney – 17 PLN.