This information does not constitute source of law. Authors were duly diligent to make this information consistent with applicable legal regulations. It is good to remember that it concerns typical and frequent cases and may not fully refer to different matters. The number and the type of documents which may be necessary for administrative bodies throughout the procedure may vary depending on the specific case. In the case of any doubts contact competent authority for examination the individual case and become familiar with legal regulations on their own.
Extension of a Schengen visa
The validity period of a Schengen visa of the foreigner residing on the territory of the Republic of Poland issued by the Polish authority or the authority of another Schengen state, valid also on the territory of Poland, can be extended as well as the length of stay covered by this visa, if:
- they demonstrated that as a result of force majeure or for humanitarian reasons it is not possible for them to leave the territory of member states before the expiry date of the visa or before the end of the permitted period of stay covered by the visa;
- or if they present a proof of existence of important personal reasons justifying extension of the validity period or the period of stay.
Note: The period of residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland on the basis of the extended visa should not exceed the maximum stay period provided for a particular type of visa i.e. 90 within a 180-days period in the case of a Schengen visa (including the period of residence on the basis of a visa which is subject to extension).
In other cases, the foreigner should consider submitting application for a temporary residence permit, owing to the circumstances requiring the short-term residence.
- Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners along with executive acts.
- Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council (EC) No. 810/2009 of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Journal of Laws of the EU of 2009 L243/1).
Method of submitting the application:
A foreigner who intends to extend the period of their residence on the basis of a Schengen visa shall submit a filled application form for the extension of a visa and additional documents listed below to the voivodship office with jurisdiction over the foreigner’s place of residence, no later than on the day of expiration of the period of legal residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland.
Extension of a visa due to force majeure or for humanitarian reasons is free of charge.
Extension of a visa for important personal reasons is subject to a stamp duty in the amount of the equivalent of 30 Euro.
Time needed for application processing
– up to one month
- Application form completed in accordance with provided information;
- 1 photograph (requirements);
- Photocopy of a valid travel document (original available for inspection).
Note: The lack of any of the aforementioned documents will result in the call of the foreigner to supplement it within the 7-days’ time limit from the delivery of the call, under pain of leaving the application without examination.
Typical documents proving the circumstances indicated in the application:
Note: Attaching documents listed below to the application at its submission may reduce the quantity of official correspondence and shorten the time of application processing.
- Documents confirming circumstances related to the reasons for visa extension provided in the application;
- Documents confirming the purpose and conditions of the planned sta;,
- Documents confirming having sufficient means of subsistence for covering the maintenance costs throughout the whole period of the planned stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland and the return trip to the country of their origin or residence or for transit to a third country which shall give the foreigner the entry permit, or the possibility of obtaining such means in accordance with the la;,
- Documents confirming having health insurance as defined by the Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from the public funds or a traveller medical insurance (this requirement may be considered fulfilled in the event when the foreigner has the required insurance in connection with their professional situation);
- Documents confirming credibility of the foreigner’s declaration of the intention of leaving the territory of the Republic of Poland before the expiry date of the extended visa.
Note: When it is necessary to explain or particularize the evidence held by the authority during the administrative proceedings, the foreigner may be called to deliver other documents or submit testimonies confirming circumstances referred to in the application.