This information does not constitute source of law. Authors were duly diligent to make this information consistent with applicable legal regulations. It is good to remember that it concerns typical and frequent cases and may not fully refer to different matters. The number and the type of documents which may be necessary for administrative bodies throughout the procedure may vary depending on the specific case. In the case of any doubts contact competent authority for examination the individual case and become familiar with legal regulations on their own.
Extension of a national visa
Extension of the validity period for an issued national visa or of the period of stay covered by this visa may occur, if the following conditions are met jointly:
- it is justified by an important professional or personal business of the foreigner, or they cannot to leave this territory for humanitarian reasons before the expiry date of a national visa or before the end of the permitted period of stay covered by this national visa;
- events that are the cause of applying for extension of a national visa, occurred regardless of the will of the foreigner and have not been predictable as of the day of submission of the application for a national visa;
- the circumstances of the case do not indicate that purpose of stay of the foreigner on the territory of the Republic of Poland will be other than declared;
- there are no circumstances due to which a national visa shall be refused.
Note: A national visa can be extended once, provided that the period of residence on the basis of the extended national visa must not exceed the period of stay envisaged for a national visa, including the period of residence on the basis of a visa which is subject to extension (i.e. up to 365 days). The only exception shall apply to a foreigner staying in a hospital whose health condition makes it impossible to leave the territory of the Republic of Poland.
In other cases, the foreigner should consider submitting application for a temporary residence permit, owing to the circumstances requiring the short-term residence.
Act of 12 December 2013 on foreigners along with executive acts.
Method of submitting the application:
A foreigner who intends to extend the period of their residence on the basis of a national visa shall submit to a filled application form for the extension of a visa and additional documents below listed to the voivodship office with jurisdiction over the foreigner’s place of residence, no later than on the day of expiration of the period of legal residence on the territory of the Republic of Poland.
Stamp duty of PLN 406
Time needed for application processing
– up to one month
- Application form completed in accordance with provided information;
- 1 photograph (requirements);
- Photocopy of a valid travel document (original available for inspection).
Note: The lack of any of the aforementioned documents will result in the call of the foreigner to supplement it within the 7-days’ time limit from the delivery of the call, under pain of leaving the application without examination.
Typical documents proving the circumstances indicated in the application:
Note: Attaching documents listed below to the application at its submission may reduce the quantity of official correspondence and shorten the time of application processing.
- Documents confirming circumstances related to the reasons for visa extension provided in the application;
- Documents confirming the purpose and conditions of the planned stay,
- Documents confirming having sufficient means of subsistence for covering the maintenance costs throughout the whole period of the planned stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland and the return trip to the country of their origin or residence or for transit to a third country which shall give the foreigner the entry permit, or the possibility of obtaining such means in accordance with the law;
- Documents confirming having health insurance as defined by the Act of 27 August 2004 on health care services financed from the public funds or a traveller medical insurance (this requirement may be considered fulfilled in the event when the foreigner has the required insurance in connection with their professional situation);
- Documents confirming credibility of the foreigner’s declaration of the intention of leaving the territory of the Republic of Poland before the expiry date of the extended visa.
Note: When it is necessary to explain or particularize the evidence held by the authority during the administrative proceedings, the foreigner may be called to deliver other documents or submit testimonies confirming circumstances referred to in the application. In the case of hospitalization of the foreigner, the Voivode may appoint an expert in order to issue opinions whether the health condition of the foreigner makes it impossible for him to leave the territory of the Republic of Poland.